Six Tips For The College Interview
College interviews can be an important part of the admissions process, particularly at selective institutions. Tips for prpearing for your interview follow.
1. If you know that you may be called for an interview, always be ready for the call. Check your e-mail and phone messages regularly.
2. Arrive at least ten minutes early. Dress appropriately and keep the fashion on the conservative side. Nice slacks and a button-down shirt are appropriate for men. Women should wear nice pants and a blouse or a nice dress. Make-up and jewlery should be simple and non-distracting. You want the interviewer to focus on what you are saying, not what you are wearing.
3. Practice for your interview. Be ready to discuss your long-term goals and talk about your activities. You may be asked about your accomplishments, but you may also be asked about weaknesses. Prepare a few questions for the interviewer on topics such as the curriculum and student life.
4. Bring along two copies of your resume and any other helpful documents.
5. Smile and make eye contact.
6. Thank your interviewer with a note or e-mail afterward.
Keep in mind that the interview is a significant aspect of the admissions process and prepare accordingly.
David Dickson is an admissions counselor for Top Test Prep; Top Test Prep provides college admissions counseling and private tutoring to help students gain admission to top private schools, colleges and grad schools. Call (800) 501-7737 to learn more.